Crystar® filtration technology (FT) and air filtration technology (aFT) are engineered using silicon carbide (SiC), an outstanding ceramic material with a myriad of advanced mechanical, thermal, and chemical properties. Recrystallized SiC (R-SiC) material is a special grade of SiC obtained through a sublimation/condensation process at temperatures above 2000°C. This process eliminates nano-particles to create a microstructure with excellent permeability to various fluids.
Thanks to the well-controlled and engineered microstructure of high-purity R-SiC from the membrane to the carrier, Crystar® FT membranes and filters feature:
- Enhanced permeate fluxes for gases and numerous liquid types, from surface water to wine, enabling higher throughput filtration at lower operating costs with more compact and lighter installations.
- Superior thermal and chemical resistance to corrosive agents from pH 0 – pH 14, allowing the use of harsh cleaning agents and the filtration of aggressive fluids.
- High thermal shock (fast temperature variations) resistance, due to the combination of high thermal conductivity, low thermal expansion, and high mechanical resistance. This enables shorter cleaning cycles at high temperature without risking structural damage to the filtration media.
- Low adsorption of organic matter and other negatively charged compounds, thanks to the inherently negative surface charge of R-SiC, enabling fast and efficient cleaning procedures in highly fouling liquids such as those with natural organic matter (NOM) content.
- Excellent retention efficiency, with demonstrable success in strongly reducing high levels of suspended solids, bacteria, oil, and other particulates in challenging streams.
Lastly, R-SiC is an inert, non-toxic material. Our Crystar® membranes have certifications for food contact in Europe (EU 1935-2004), and are deemed acceptable for food and beverage processing according to the FDA.
Crystar® FT and aFT products were designed to improve sustainability and efficiency in a variety of filtration processes. They have provided excellent clarification in the food and beverage sector, high efficiency for oil / water separation, safety for recreational water facilities, and much more.
Please read Our Story if you would like to learn more about this ground-breaking filtration technology.